On 03/01/2017 10:22 PM, Greg Silverman wrote:

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:53 PM, mike bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com
<mailto:mike...@zzzcomputing.com>> wrote:

    On 03/01/2017 08:27 PM, GMS wrote:

        I have the following class models:

        |  class DiagnosisDetail(Model):
                __tablename__ = 'vw_svc_diagnosis'
                diagnosis_id = Column(String(32), primary_key=True)
                first_name = Column(String(255))
                last_name = Column(String(255))
                mrn = Column(String(255))
                dx_code = Column(String(255))
                dx_id = Column(String(255), ForeignKey('dx_group.dx_id'))
                diagnosisgroup = relationship("DiagnosisGroup")
                dx_code_type = Column(String(255))
                dx_name = Column(String(255))

                __mapper_args__ = {
                     "order_by":[mrn, dx_name]
               }

            class DiagnosisGroup(Model):
                __tablename__ = 'diagnosis_group'
                dx_id = Column(String(32), primary_key=True)
                mrn = Column(String(255))
                dx_code = Column(String(255))
                dx_code_type = Column(String(255))
                dx_name = Column(String(255))
                diagnosis_datetime = Column(DateTime)

                __mapper_args__ = {
                     "order_by":[mrn, dx_name]
               }|

        where the underlying tables for DiagnosisGroup and
        DiagnosisDetail are
        SQL views. DiagnosisGroup is so that I can have a more succinct
        view of
        the data, since a patient can have the same diagnosis many
        times. I am
        wondering if there is a way to do this within the class structure
         instead of at the db server?

    do you mean, derive a DiagnosisGroup object from a DiagnosisDetail
    without running SQL?

In as much as having the ORM do the work versus the backend, I guess.

    (or a list of them?)  (the answer is..sure?  just build Python code
    to generate objects from a list of DiagnosisDetail objects).

Hmmm... but I don't get all the benefits of related data/data
associations via key constraints that way with a non SQLA object. For
example, I have a form that binds the Grouped records to their Detailed
records in another form utilizing the one-to-many relationship between
the two classes.

my example illustrates joining the two types of objects together in the same way as a relationship-bound collection would.

    I do not wish to do this through any ORM

        session queries, since these two classes have distinct use cases
        where
        they bind to wtform views. Thus, I would like to inherit the
        properties
        of these two classes from another distinct class.

        I have not been able to find anything like this, short
        of [create-column-properties-that-use-a-groupby][1]

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25822393/how-can-i-create-column-properties-that-use-a-groupby/25879453

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25822393/how-can-i-create-column-properties-that-use-a-groupby/25879453>>,
        but this uses session queries to achieve the result. I would like to
        keep everything within the class itself through inheritance of the
        DiagnosisDetail class.

    You don't need a relational database to do grouping, if you have a
    list of data in memory it can be grouped using sets, or most
    succinctly Python's own groupby function:
    https://docs.python.org/2/library/itertools.html#itertools.groupby
    <https://docs.python.org/2/library/itertools.html#itertools.groupby>

Indeed. I have used this for other things, but never thought of it for
this case.

        Note: the primary key for DiagnosisGroup, is a concatenation of
        dx_code
        and another field patient_id. Groupings thus are unique.

    OK, so

        def keyfunc(detail):
            return (detail.dx_code, detail.patient_id)

        def get_diagnosis_groups(sorted_list_of_diagnosis_detail):

            for (dx_code, patient_id), details in
    itertools.groupby(sorted_list_of_diagnosisdetail, keyfunc):
                diagnosis_group = DiagnosisGroup(
                   dx_code, patient_id
                )
                diagnosis_group.details = details
                for detail in details:
                    detail.group = diagnosis_group
                yield diagnosis_group

Is there a way to use these as methods within a class model using the
mapper, like in the stackoverflow link I gave?

this functionality can be placed on a @property on your class, can be done bidirectionally too. If you want a DiagnosisGroup to have a collection of all the DiagnosisDetails on it you'd need to find a place to stash the collection of all the DD objects you're dealing with in memory.

Thanks for the out-of-the-box approach to thinking about this.

Greg--

    I do also need

        the FK relation back to the DiagnosisDetail class, which leads me to
        believe there should be three classes, where the two above classes
        inherit their properties from a parent class.

        To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and
        Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve
        <http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve> for a full
        description.
        Groups "sqlalchemy" group.
        it, send
        an email to sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
        <mailto:sqlalchemy%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
        <mailto:sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com>
        Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy
        <https://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

    --
    SQLAlchemy - The Python SQL Toolkit and Object Relational Mapper

    http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

    To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and
    Verifiable Example.  See  http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve
    <http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve> for a full description.
    in the Google Groups "sqlalchemy" group.
    To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sqlalchemy/t124IuWhNI0/unsubscribe
    sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:sqlalchemy%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
    <mailto:sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com>.
    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy
    <https://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--
Greg M. Silverman

 ›  flora-script <http://flora-script.grenzi.org/> ‹

To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and
Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve for a full
description.
Groups "sqlalchemy" group.