we don't have ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE for MySQL as of yet however there is a PR that I will attend to at some point for possible 1.2 inclusion.

However, note you can just as well just emit the SQL string for ON DUPLCIATE KEY UPDATE if you're only targeting MySQL. Then just create the object you need that corresponds to this row, then use make_transient_to_detached() -> session.add() to make it happen (see example below).

Theoretically, the functionality of session.merge() could provide an alternate form that makes use of ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE automatically however for the foreseeable future, you'd need to roll this yourself once you make use of the SQL statement.

The traditional way to handle this is largely like what you have except that client-side caching is used to make it more efficient. One example is https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/wiki/UsageRecipes/UniqueObject, which caches per single object. Other ways include just selecting a whole batch of objects based on keys you know you will be working with up front.

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.orm import *

Base = declarative_base()

post_tags = Table(
    "post_tags", Base.metadata,
    Column("postid", ForeignKey('post.id'), primary_key=True),
    Column("tagid", ForeignKey('tag.key'), primary_key=True)
)

class Post(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'post'

    id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    _tags = relationship('Tag', secondary='post_tags')

    @property
    def tags(self):
        return ';'.join(tag.key for tag in self._tags)

    @tags.setter
    def tags(self, s):
        lst = [Tag(key=tag) for tag in s.split(';')]
        self._tags = lst

class Tag(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'tag'

    key = Column(String(40), primary_key=True)
    count = Column(Integer)

e = create_engine("mysql://scott:tiger@localhost/test", echo=True)
Base.metadata.drop_all(e)
Base.metadata.create_all(e)
s = Session(e)

def make_tag(name):
    s.execute(
        "INSERT INTO tag (`key`, `count`) VALUES (:name, 1) "
        "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE count = count + 1",
        {"name": name}
    )
    tag_obj = Tag(key=name)
    make_transient_to_detached(tag_obj)
    return s.merge(tag_obj, load=False)

s.add(Post(_tags=[make_tag("tag_a")]))
s.commit()

s.add(Post(_tags=[make_tag("tag_a")]))
s.commit()

assert s.query(Tag).count() == 1

I'm trying to create a tag system with a many-to-many relationship approach, and I have problems with the updating phase.

classPost(Base):
     __tablename__ ='post'

     id =Column(Integer,primary_key=True)
     _tags =relationship('Tag',secondary='post_tags')

@property
deftags(self):
return';'.join(tag.key fortag inself._tags)

@tags.setter
deftags(self,s):
         lst =[Tag(key=tag)fortag ins.split(';')]
self._tags =lst

classTag(Base):
     __tablename__ ='tag'

     key =Column(String(40),primary_key=True)
     count =Column(Integer)

And the `post_tags` is defined as :

CREATE TABLE `post_tags`(
`idpost`INT(10)UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`tag`VARCHAR(40)NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`idpost`,`tag`),
  INDEX `FK_post_tags`(`tag`),
  FOREIGN KEY (`tag`)REFERENCES `tag`(`key`),
  FOREIGN KEY (`idpost`)REFERENCES `post`(`id`)ON DELETE CASCADE
);

The problem is that when adding tags that already exists in the `tag` table

post.tags ='a'# tag 'a' already created

it produces this exception : sqlalchemy.orm.exc.FlushError: New instance <Tag at 0x7f7b56a3a940> with identity key (<class 'test_mm.Tag'>, ('a',)) conflicts with persistent instance <Tag at 0x7f7b567af7f0>

Ideally, I'd like to be able to produce a query like (MySQL) :

INSERT INTO tag (`key`,`count`)VALUES (%s,1)ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE count =count +1

Instead that, the way I found to do seems much less efficient :

@tags.setter
deftags(self,s):
     sess =object_session(self)
     lst =[sess.merge(Tag(key=tag))fortag ins.split(';')]
self._tags =lst

(and the counter is managed by a trigger on `post_tags` INSERT)

Is there another way to do that properly and efficiently ?

To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve for a full description.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sqlalchemy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:sqlalchemy+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com <mailto:sqlalchemy@googlegroups.com>.

SQLAlchemy - The Python SQL Toolkit and Object Relational Mapper