On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 1:44:45 AM UTC-4, Mike Bayer wrote:

If you then added and populated a column in your table called
> "ten_minute_epoch" or something like that, you could avoid having to do
> the math operation on every row during your SELECT (e.g. it would be
> written at INSERT time), though this might be overkill.

I read a while back that MySql started to support PostgreSQL style function
indexes as virtual columns. One could ostensibly just create an index on
the column, and then include a search pattern matching the index to utilize
it.  It wouldn't require rewriting the table, writing a trigger+check
constraints, or altering inserts.

In my experience, Postgres/Mysql are decent for archiving and warehousing
timeseries data, but pretty bad at doing anything useful with it (and
you'll do better with a column store db for all those tasks).

There are a handful of projects that extend these databases to handle
timeseries data efficiently, but most require a lot of server admin and
everyone I know has just gone for something that handles time-series pretty
well natively, like cassandra. I saw a few Python that periodically built
snapshot tables out of source tables in mysql/postgres, but can't remember
the names.