Using the cast worked great. However, now when I want to print the query
statement I get an error

code:
from sqlalchemy import Column, Integer, Text, ARRAY, cast, create_engine
from sqlalchemy.orm import Session
from sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql import array

Base = declarative_base()

class Dummy(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'dummies'
    id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    name = Column(Text)

e = create_engine('postgresql+psycopg2://localhost:5432/local_dev',
echo=False)
Base.metadata.create_all(e)
session = Session(e)

session.add(Dummy(name='idiot'))
session.add(Dummy(name='fool'))

query = session.query(Dummy).with_entities(
    Dummy.id,
    Dummy.name,
    cast(array([], type_=Integer), ARRAY(Integer)).label('stuff')
)
print(str(query.statement))
print(query.all())

Output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py",

line 77, in _compiler_dispatch
    meth = getter(visitor)
AttributeError: 'StrSQLCompiler' object has no attribute 'visit_array'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "demo.py", line 29, in <module>
    print(str(query.statement))
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py",

line 446, in __str__
    return str(self.compile())
  File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda>
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py",

line 436, in compile
    return self._compiler(dialect, bind=bind, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py",

line 442, in _compiler
    return dialect.statement_compiler(dialect, self, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 435, in __init__
    Compiled.__init__(self, dialect, statement, **kwargs)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 216, in __init__
    self.string = self.process(self.statement, **compile_kwargs)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 242, in process
    return obj._compiler_dispatch(self, **kwargs)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/annotation.py",

line 80, in _compiler_dispatch
    self, visitor, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py",

line 81, in _compiler_dispatch
    return meth(self, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 1725, in visit_select
    for name, column in select._columns_plus_names
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 1725, in <listcomp>
    for name, column in select._columns_plus_names
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 1497, in _label_select_column
    **column_clause_args
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py",

line 81, in _compiler_dispatch
    return meth(self, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 664, in visit_label
    OPERATORS[operators.as_] + \
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py",

line 81, in _compiler_dispatch
    return meth(self, **kw)
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/compiler.py",

line 831, in visit_cast
    (cast.clause._compiler_dispatch(self, **kwargs),
  File
"/Users/tbeck/.virtualenvs/cem/lib/python3.5/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/visitors.py",

line 79, in _compiler_dispatch
    raise exc.UnsupportedCompilationError(visitor, cls)
sqlalchemy.exc.UnsupportedCompilationError: Compiler
<sqlalchemy.sql.compiler.StrSQLCompiler object at 0x11023f470> can't render
element of type <class 'sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql.array.array'>

Is there any way to address this? We print the generated query out in our
debug logging, and it's useful. Would prefer to not have to avoid printing
the query