On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:46 AM, Tony Locke <tlo...@tlocke.org.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for your swift reply Mike. I should have said that I'm changing
> the way that pg8000 works so that there's a pg8000.PGJson wrapper for
> JSON values. The reason for doing so is to allow pg8000 to send the
> correct type code to Postgres. Previously with pg8000, JSON was
> represented as a string, and it was sent with the 'unknown' type to
> allow Postgres to guess the type, which can cause problems in edge
> cases. Anyway, in the SQLAlchemy dialect for pg8000 I now have the
> following bind processor that returns a pg8000.PGJson object:
>
> class _PGJSON(JSON):
>     def bind_processor(self, dialect):
>         pg_json = dialect.dbapi.PGJson
>
>         def process(value):
>             if value is self.NULL:
>                 value = None
>             elif isinstance(value, Null) or (
>                     value is None and self.none_as_null):
>                 return None
>             return pg_json(value)
>
>         return process
>
> The problem is that now type_coerce returns a pg8000.PGJson type,
> rather than a serialized JSON string, causing the
> test_crit_against_string_coerce_type test to fail. I wonder if there's
> a different approach that I should be taking?

so the test there is to confirm the use case documented at
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/type_basics.html#sqlalchemy.types.JSON
where one wants to compare the string value of a particular element of
a JSON dictionary of strings to a specific value.   The way we are
doing this is somewhat interim, as on Postgresql, the canonical system
is to use "astext" which means we're using the Postgresql ->> operator
and I've decided we should try to get an "astext" equivalence into the
other dialects at some point.

However for now, what it means is:

CAST(some_json->['some key'] AS VARCHAR)  = '<some json value>'

In Postgresql, when you pull a value from a json hash, it is itself a
JSON datatype.   Then, if you cast it as a string, you get the JSON
string value, which if it's a single scalar string you get '"some
string"'.    using type_coerce(val, JSON) means we want to turn "val"
into a JSON value, but we *dont* want to CAST it as JSON - we expect
that Postgresql is seeing a string representation of a JSON string.

I guess because pg8000 uses prepared statements you are able to send
the fact that the bind is JSON separately from the value itself, which
implies more or less a CAST rendering the type_coerce() as not really
useful.  So we need to just remove this guidance from
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/type_basics.html#sqlalchemy.types.JSON
to only refer to the "json.dumps()" versions of the recipes given.
The type_coerce() version doesn't apply to arbitrary SQL expressions
either so there's likely not much point in it.