> the fact that you are changing the order of things_check seems to
> imply you want the order of parent_feature.things to change also....
> but you're not changing the query.

Ugh, woops again. Yes that's exactly what i meant!

in which case you would use contains_eager()

Wow okay, that exactly works.

So I guess i didnt/dont understand understand at all what contains_eager is
meant to do even after reading the documentation. The join beforehand is
what generates the sql which ultimately allows contains_eager to load the
relationship. But how is that different from how it would have worked with
a normal joinedload (i mean i can see the difference in the generated sql,
but for me to know that I should have been using contains_eager in the
first place)?

Also, (not that I actually want to in this case) but would it be possible
to do the same thing with a different relationship loading mechanishm? Like
suppose this was typically a `selectin` loaded relationship with a default
order_by on it. Is it possible to have it do the same thing it would have
done for selectin anyway, order *that* query configurably, and get the same
end-result?

Anyways, thanks so much. I was banging my head against this for far too
long!