On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:05:20 PM UTC-5, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

> On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 11:49:39 AM UTC-6, Mike Bayer wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <szyb...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a query in sqlalchemy like below where I lookup contract# in
>>> mssql. How do I enforce the varchar instead of nvarchar? I tried converting
>>> my field to "str(mycurrent)" but that didn't do anything. Is there some
>>> other spot to force VARCHAR to be sent?
>>>

>> this just came up in
>> https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issues/4161/sql-server-string-use-case,
>>
>> in that case they are using typed parameters:
>>
>> String(50, convert_unicode='force')
>>
>> if you're dealing w/ the raw string like that try this:
>>
>> execute(text("select ... where foo =
>> :mycurrent").bindparams(bindparam("mycurrent",
>> type_=String(convert_unicode='force')))
>>
>> let me know if that works b.c. this has to be in the docs
>>

> Hello,
Sorry for late response. I'm struggling with the syntax here for the bind
param. How do I convert from session.execut(stmt,params) to your
bindparams? I can't just cast the variable I'm passing to correct format?
Knowing that the value I will be passing is either some sa stored procedure
sqlalchemy object.columname or some other system
mycontract=someobject.contract_no

 From
 p=session.execute("select PZ.p_id,PZ.pimage_num from dbo.P with(nolock)
inner join dbo.PZ PZ with(nolock) on PZ.p_id = p.p_id  inner join dbo.D D
with(nolock) on D.p_id = p.p_id AND D.pimage_num=PZ.pimage_num where
p.contract=:mycontract and D.srtype_id
=5",params={'mycontract':str(mycontract)}).fetchall()

 To:
from sqlalchmy import bindparams
##mycurrent=someobject.contract_no
mycurrent='ABC123'

(bad)  p=session.execute(text("select PZ.p_id,PZ.pimage_num from dbo.P
with(nolock) inner join dbo.PZ PZ with(nolock) on PZ.p_id = p.p_id  inner
join dbo.D D with(nolock) on D.p_id = p.p_id AND D.pimage_num=PZ.pimage_num
where p.contract=:mycontract and D.srtype_id
=5").bindparam('mycontract'),params={'mycontract':str(mycontract)}).fetchall()
AttributeError: 'TextClause' object has no attribute 'bindparam'

(bad)  p=session.execute("select PZ.p_id,PZ.pimage_num from dbo.P
with(nolock) inner join dbo.PZ PZ with(nolock) on PZ.p_id = p.p_id  inner
join dbo.D D with(nolock) on D.p_id = p.p_id AND D.pimage_num=PZ.pimage_num
where p.contract=:mycontract and D.srtype_id
=5").bindparam('mycontract').fetchall()
A value is required for bind parameter 'mycontract'

- What is the final working syntax, I can't find any examples of how to fix
this in the link
<https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issues/4161/sql-server-string-use-case>
  indicated.
Page says that a "String(50).with_variant(String(50,
convert_unicode='force'), 'mssql')" has worked for Jan K. but it doesn't
really say how does somebody converts their variable into correct type
string:
like:
mycontract=cast(mycontract, String(convert_unicode='force'))

Since I'm passing params right after my statement should the bindparam be
in params section?
something along:
params={'mycontract':sqlalchemy.string(mycontract).convert_unicode='force')})

The easiest way would be to convert mycontract into proper
String(convert_unicode='force') and pass mycontract as in my original query?

Thank you
Lucas
__
http://lucasmanual.com