On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM Chris Wilson
<chris.wil...@cantabcapital.com> wrote:

> [...]
>   line 3668, in setup_entity
>
>     self._with_polymorphic = ext_info.with_polymorphic_mappers
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py,
>   line 767, in __get__
>
>     obj.__dict__[self.__name__] = result = self.fget(obj)
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\mapper.py,
>   line 2011, in _with_polymorphic_mappers
>
>     configure_mappers()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\mapper.py,
>   line 3029, in configure_mappers
>
>     mapper._post_configure_properties()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\mapper.py,
>   line 1828, in _post_configure_properties
>
>     prop.init()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\interfaces.py,
>   line 184, in init
>
>     self.do_init()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\relationships.py,
>   line 1655, in do_init
>
>     self._process_dependent_arguments()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\relationships.py,
>   line 1712, in _process_dependent_arguments
>
>     self.target = self.mapper.mapped_table
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\util\langhelpers.py,
>   line 767, in __get__
>
>     obj.__dict__[self.__name__] = result = self.fget(obj)
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\orm\relationships.py,
>   line 1628, in mapper
>
>     argument = self.argument()
>
>   File
> python36\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-1.2.7-py3.6-win-amd64.egg\sqlalchemy\ext\declarative\clsregistry.py,
>   line 293, in __call__
>
>     (self.prop.parent, self.arg, n.args[0], self.cls)
>
> sqlalchemy.exc.InvalidRequestError: When initializing mapper
> Mapper|Mammal|mammal, expression 'Employer' failed to locate a name ("name
> 'Employer' is not defined"). If this is a class name, consider adding this
> relationship() to the <class '__main__.Mammal'> class after both dependent
> classes have been defined.
>

> I think the problem is that Mapper._new_mappers is global, so we call
> configure_mappers() even though there are no new mappers for this
> declarative_base (FirstBase), so I don’t think it should be necessary.
>

> I imagine that the fix would be something like moving _new_mappers onto the
> Metadata itself, but I don’t know how difficult it would be. Is this

I don't think it's generalizable enough to only impact the
"_new_mappers" flag.  Because if another application is working with a
system where one base is running ORM queries, another system is not
ready to run yet, and then a third system is adding new mappers,
you're going to have configure_mappers() running over the full
_mapper_registry and that would be chaotic if you are looking to
protect some subset of those from being configured.

So then we look at what might have been a reasonable way for this to
be built up front, that _mapper_registry is local to a Base and
therefore configure_mappers() is local to the Base (it would be Base,
not MetaData, as the latter has nothing to do with the ORM).
However, the problem is that it's perfectly valid to have lots of
declarative bases with relationships referring to each other on them.
  So segmenting out the mapper config means the mappings that you did
run configure for, still might not be completely configured, the main
case here is that another mapper might refer to this one using a
backref.  "backref" is already a pattern I've tried to de-emphasize
but it is still prevalent.   But other cases include event listeners
that are looking for mappers configured and such which both expect to
be called, and also might expect that all mappers in memory are
actually configured.

The configure step would at least have to branch into the other Bases
if a relationship took it there, e.g. Foo(Base1) refers to Bar(Base2),
when we hit the relationship it means we would need to configure
everything under Base2.   So this makes the segmenting process a
little bit hard to predict.

I think it should probably work as above, that is, configures only for
the mappers that are local to the mapper registry for the current
mapped class, and only configures for other mapper registries when a
relationship takes it there.  But that is not a quick feature at all,
it needs a lot of tests and is probably going to cause a lot of
regressions of the variety of folks looking for the opposite of what
you see here, e.g. they are looking for their mapper_configured events
and stuff to fire off and they aren't seeing it. It would also change
the behavior of the after_configured() mapper event that right now
invokes after all known mappers are configured.

Alternatively, we provide an explicit API for folks doing the kind of
thing you're doing.  Which is also less than ideal because as you
noted, your use case is very esoteric and it's always difficult to
design, implement and then maintain in perpetuity a complex feature
that you know is only used by one application :)  there's a bunch of
things like that buried in SQLAlchemy already.

So the challenge here is to come up with some API that is as generic
and non-intrusive as possible that still makes your thing doable.  to
that end I've proposed an event which is demonstrated at
https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/issues/4397.  this needs to
be worked into a patch that includes tests in test/orm/test_events.py.