We have a fairly complex SqlAlchemy model that spans several integrated
applications (300+ tables).

Our text columns are all of the `sqlalchemy.UnicodeText` class, however
they all have widely different 'cleaning' or 'sanitization' schemes.  This
typically needs to be preprocessed, as we need to derive information from
these fields before saving - using custom serializers isn't a concern or
desire.  Right now we have lots of tests - which often duplicate one
another and are manually maintained - to ensure everything is processed
correctly.  A layer of functional tests mocks the data processing for each
object - and that's not going to chance.  What I'd like to change is the
suite of lower unit tests, which mock the various serialization schemes.

I had an idea, and I'm wondering if this is compatible with sane SqlAlchemy
usage or not...

I'd like to create a unique subclass of `sqlalchemy.UnicodeText` for each
type of data serialization our models use (currently there are 10).  The
subclasses will simply 'pass', and will just be used by the test suite to
auto-detect the desired serialization format and ensure tests pass... and
also essentially document what the intended serialization format is.

Does this generally sound okay, or is this likely to screw up the
internals?  Tests so far show this as not affecting anything negatively.

If anyone else has an idea on a better way to handle this, I'd be excited
to learn about it.  This just seemed like a low-cost way to simplify our
needs for testing and developer documentation.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/fd95dcf8-7823-4a4f-96b4-134d51eb29d4%40googlegroups.com.