I thought I figured out another clever way, but it's not working working as
I thought it might.  Thought maybe using ".from_self" I could do the base
full automatic ORM Model query to get everything, then do the .from_self to
wrap it with an outer query and only return the columns I need.

        q = (db.session.query(Task).from_self(*columns_i_want))

Unfortunately though, even though query(Task) alone can figure out the
relationships/joins, once it's in this statement with the from_self
version, you don't get them anymore.

I was so excited - I thought that was definitely going to work.  Any chance
I'm just missing a step that could make that method work?  I see the
'.add_entity' option but that didn't seem to help and kind of defeats the
purpose of my simplicity goal anyway.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/02f8addf-a7ef-4fad-b972-b582ec902f30%40googlegroups.com.