That particular idea is a convenience but is never necessary to get a
multiple-level inheritance model to work. You simply have the polymorphic_on in
the base-most table be the place where the discriminator is stored, and each
descendant class defines its discriminator value fully.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/3233e42d-0374-4ca7-a442-7e456831d86c%40www.fastmail.com.