On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, at 12:18 PM, Jimmy Jia wrote:
> I might just be missing something from the docs here, but is there a way to
> raise on attempts to load deferred columns or column properties?
>
> I'm looking to get behavior equivalent to that of raiseload, to prevent
> unintentional N+1 issues when using deferred columns, in the context of an
> API server where e.g. endpoints generally only fetch subsets of columns from
> the model, especially with regard to potentially complex column expressions.
> I believe I can set things up to use load_only to only load the columns I
> care about, but I'm concerned about the ergonomics around preventing
> unintentional N+1 problems from lazy loading other columns.

Hmmmm, so you want a "raiseload" that works....for columns? What a crazy idea!
I am being sarcastic.

Unfortunately this very obvious idea is apparently not implemented right now
and I even had to check.

I've added https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/issues/4826 for this.
there's not really an easy way to do that right now though, sorry.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/86c84e66-18f0-46fe-86e8-ee16254a8434%40www.fastmail.com.