On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 09:59:49AM -0400, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, at 9:34 AM, Julien Cigar wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what the problem is, the code I can see has "lazy='joined'"
> > > in some spots, you'd make that into "lazy='select'" if that's the lazy
> > >
> > > if this is some kind of automatic-generation issue where some of these
> > > generations need to apply a different kind of default loader then you
> > > would need to add parameterization to your code generation scheme, such
> > > as additional arguments to your setup_relationships() function.
> >
> > The problem I have if that the "current_translation" should always be
> > lazy='joined' within it's context.
> >
> > In the base class (Content) "current_translation" points to the
> > "content_current_translation" relationship. In a child class (Document)
> > "current_translation" points to "document_current_translation"
> > relationship, but a child class also contain the
> > "content_current_translation", as Document inherits from Content and
> > that the property has already been setup.
> > So both relationships are joinedloaded at the same time when I'm
> > session.query(Document).
>

> there's no way I'm going to parse that without spending a long time looking
> at an example, sorry I know we keep coming back to this code that you've been
> working on but it's not something i can keep in my head in the interim.

Yeah I understand perfectly, no problem :-)
I'll make a test case as soon as I have a little time

> > For example when I'm querying for a Document SQLAlchemy generates two
> > queries for the translations (1) and (2). The JOIN on the
> > document_translation table should happend in (1).
> >
> > When I'm setting the mapping for a child class (Document, Event, Folder,
> > etc) I'm looking for a way to either 1) remove the
> > "content_current_translation" relationship or 2) disable joined loading
> > for this relationship.
> >
> > But when I'm dbsession.query(Content) the "content_current_translation"
> > must be joined loaded
>
> so my vague understanding is that you want a certain relationship to
> joinedload when its at the top level, but not joinedload when it's deeper
> down the stack, is that the general idea?

yes, it's exactly what I'm trying to do

> there might be some ways to approach this but also I think you should be able
> to override the relationship() entirely on your subclass, if that works. I
> just tried getting a proof of concept going but it doesnt seem to illustrate
> the thing I'm going for, I can't get it to generate too many joins to start
> with for some reason.

I don't remember exactly the reasons why I choosed to not override the
base relationship(s), other than some SQLAlchemy warnings... I'll write
a complete test case

> There's also other possible ways such as setting up query.options() within a
> before_compile() listener.

Yes, it was one of the approaches I thought (or using Pyramid events)

> As always, this is way too complicated for me to understand from fragments
> alone. I'm not even sure why my own simple proof of concept is doing
> something that it's doing and I don't have time to pdb into joinedloader
> today.

Thanks for your help Mike :)

--

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/20190927151341.GC16334%40home.lan.