On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Andrei Pashkin wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I wonder - is it possible to parametrize where expression as a whole like
>> that:
>> select([users_table]).where(bindparam('criteria'))
>
> nope, that's not how SQL bound parameters work.
>

>> ?
>>
>> My use case is that I'd like to pre-compile a complex SQLAlchemy expression
>> to avoid redundant computations and achieve the same effect as Bakery has
>> for the ORM but only for a low-level SA expression.
>
> Wait for SQLAlchemy 1.4, this will have that feature.

noting also, there is a cache feature for Core statements right now, you just
have to use the same statement object each time, since currently the statement
object itself is the cache key. See
https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/13/core/connections.html?highlight=compiled_cache#sqlalchemy.engine.Connection.execution_options.params.compiled_cache
 . This is what BakedQuery ultimately uses also and the unit of work uses it
also.

In 1.4 all statements will be able to generate a separate cache key that is
repeatable for multiple instances of the same statement.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/55474455-b40c-4453-80bd-a56ae9e876db%40www.fastmail.com.