That's an interesting point. I actually pull it in as an imported class
using
@as_declarative()
class MyClass

Forcing an import reload for each initialization made all the difference.
Thanks for your help.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/b5bec3b4-952a-4a65-834a-b02f69b0fe1f%40googlegroups.com.