OK so use the "t" form with the "geom" name sent as a string, it wants the
whole row so this is a special Postgresql syntax. There are many ways to make
it output this and it depends on the specifics of how this is being rendered.
it may require a custom construct with a @compiles rule as I would assume it
needs to respond to things like table alias names, subquery alias names, etc.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, at 10:28 AM, Adrien Berchet wrote:
> This function is defined here:
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/7f4426716f561187175d73bfff330343b25a7be9/postgis/postgis.sql.in#L4609
> And its C implementation is here:
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/b48fb3e2272568aa6310fc26aefc69010d4f37e3/postgis/lwgeom_out_geojson.c#L79
>
> Its first argument is a record and the second one (optional) is the name of
> the geometry column. If the second argument is not given, it iterates over
> all attributes of this record, pick the first geometry attribute to convert
> it to a GeoJSON Geometry and all over attributes are set as properties in the
> generated GeoJSON.
> The only two ways I found to use this function are the following:
>  1. SELECT ST_AsGeoJson(t.*, 'geom') -- The 'geom' argument is optional here
> FROM (SELECT 1 AS id, ST_GeomFromText('POINT( 1 1)') AS geom) AS t;
>  2. SELECT ST_AsGeoJson(t, 'geom') -- The 'geom' argument is optional here
> FROM (SELECT 1 AS id, ST_GeomFromText('POINT( 1 1)') AS geom) AS t;
> If we want to convert only a subset of columns into GeoJson properties we
> have to use a subquery to select this subset, it is not possible (as far as I
> can see) to pass the subset to the function. The only way I found to pass a
> subset is using the ROW() function but then the GeoJson properties have dummy
> names ('f1', 'f2', ...).
>
> Le mar. 14 avr. 2020 à 15:57, Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> a écrit :
>> __
>> does this ST_AsGeoJSON function hardcode itself to look for column names
>> "id" and "geom" ? it's not going to be any easier to get SQLAlchemy to
>> render "t" than it is "t.*". it wants to name columns.
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, at 9:45 AM, Adrien Berchet wrote:
>>> I just found that in fact it is possible to just pass the table name to
>>> ST_AsGeoJson, so the following query works:
>>>
>>> I will try to use this writing in GeoAlchemy2, though I don't know yet how
>>> to translate it in SQLAlchemy.
>>>
>>> Le mar. 14 avr. 2020 à 14:23, Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> a écrit
>>> :

FROM t;