this is due to concurrent database connections where one or more of them has
acquired a lock on a schema object such as a Table and other DDL operations
against that object are blocked.

look at your processlist on the database server, or run a query against
pg_stat_activity on the database itself, to see what other transactions are
currently in progress.

it is very possible that the multiple connections are originating from your own
application, if there is some kind of double-connection pattern going on, or
that there is simply some other application somewhere holding onto database
locks like a SQL console. The pg_stat_activity table should give you a clue
where this is happening.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/cea64d6e-0f2b-4961-ad41-5a9ccf8e9ba2%40www.fastmail.com.