Wow - after spending another three hours and trying to get tutorials to
work (without SQLAlchemy), I finally got it figured out.  It looks like I
didn't have my security group inbound/outbound rules set up correctly -
wow.... that was a major pain!  I guess that's how it goes when you're
learning something new!

Btw, if I'm using SQLAlchemy with Lambda, do I still need to be careful of
concurrent DB sessions and use scoped_sessions?  I watched something about
the fact that with Lambda a container is created and the pool gets left
open (or something like that), so I figured it would be worth asking.  It's
easy enough to use either way to be on the safe side.  I think there was
also something about using an RDS proxy as well - I'll have to look into
that, too.

Thanks!
Mike

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/edc95bcc-34dd-4121-ab22-243288049598n%40googlegroups.com.