My table has a unique index on the column named "tag". When I attempt to
insert a row with a tag value that already exists in the table, sqlalchemy
raises the generic exception `IntegrityError`.

`IntegrityError` may be raised for various scenarios, including Foreign Key
Violation and Unique Index Violation.

One of the benefits of using sqlalchemy is the ability to write code that
may be independent of the underlying backend or db-api driver.

So, I am hoping that there is a programmatic way to distinguish between the
underlying causes of IntegrityError (such as unique constraint violation)
without having to depend explicitly on a specific driver package (e.g.,
psycopg2).

Thank you,
Vitaly

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/718de06d-97ae-4f73-8614-a4fd0626826fn%40googlegroups.com.