Thanks both Mike and Simon for the input! Apologies for the late reply,
I've been trying to work this change into the non-example code, but ran
into some issues. Disabling the Cascading Backrefs resolved the error in
the sample, but I've stumbled onto a couple of different problems.

Something to note: I'm using the classical mapping approach and calling the
mapper method direction.

The issue in my own code base is that I'm seeing the following:
tokyo.destinationGates = [Gate(id=null, name='westGate'), Gate(id=west
gate's id, name='westGate')]

The null id row is inserted after westGate's instantiation and the other is
inserted after the merge+commit.

I've attempted to reproduce the issue in a gist, but have run into
something slightly different.

In this new example, I'm getting an Instance <Location at 0x110dd0a50> has
a NULL identity key. I think this should be 1:1 with the original example,
but it looks like I may have missed something. I can post these questions
separately, but I figured since it is related to the original issue I'd
post here.

The gist can be found below:
https://gist.github.com/funseiki/3ddb35f849ed3c9bfb38eae404e7b8b4

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/e550f10c-e688-4851-a457-b8a47ffb83fan%40googlegroups.com.