Hi all,

I'm sorry, as I feel like this is kind of a beginner question. I'd expect
that when I set a column attribute the respective relationship field would
change or at least be marked as changed (so a posterior access can be
loaded later on another access), but I've found a case where it doesn't.
I've tried to find a bit of code to represent what I'm struggling with,
hopefully it will be clear enough.

# --- START ---
from sqlalchemy import Column, create_engine, ForeignKey, Integer, String

from sqlalchemy.orm import sessionmaker, relationship

engine = create_engine("sqlite://", echo=True)
Session = sessionmaker(engine)

Base = declarative_base()

class Company(Base):
    __tablename__ = "company"

    company_id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    name = Column(String(50))

class Project(Base):
    __tablename__ = "project"

    project_id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    name = Column(String(50))
    company_id = Column(Integer, ForeignKey("company.company_id"),
index=True)
    company = relationship("Company")

Base.metadata.create_all(engine)

session = Session()

c = Company(name="First Company")

p = Project(name="First Project")

session.add(c)
session.add(p)

assert p.company is None
assert p.company_id is None

# Case 1: update the _id doesn't seem to reflect
p.company_id = c.company_id

assert p.company is None
assert p.company_id == c.company_id

session.flush()

# Wasn't expecting the None here
assert p.company is None
assert p.company_id is None

session.refresh(p)

# Wasn't expecting the None here
assert p.company is None
assert p.company_id is None

# Case 2: update the relation works as expected
p.company = c

assert p.company == c
assert p.company_id is None

session.flush()

assert p.company == c
assert p.company_id == c.company_id

session.refresh(p)

assert p.company == c
assert p.company_id == c.company_id

Sorry for bothering, but I'm really puzzled/stuck and feel like I've missed
something important,
João

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/CAJGrhWZq%2Biw_X-7B9%2Bc0sdxj2fAebpMb-O1erXnfhYmDsWZ%3D4Q%40mail.gmail.com.