the reason Alembic puts env.py into your project, rather than having this just
be part of Alembic, is so that you can customize it as needed, so it sounds
like for everything you're doing you want to be inside of env.py making those
changes.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/5b10d9f1-0c0f-4ce1-8e64-69bf17b993bb%40www.fastmail.com.