I have a project that, in a few rare situations, may run on a version of
sqlite that does not support function indexes, and "need" to run a unique
index on `lower(name)`.  For simplicity, I'll just use a normal index on
correct systems,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement this.

1. in terms of sqlite3, what is the best way to access the version
Sqlalchemy is using?  the import is in a classmethod, and could either be
pysqlite2 or sqlite3?  i seriously doubt anyone would deploy with
pysqlite2, but I feel like I should do things the right way.

2. What is the best way to implement this contextual switch?  I thought
about a `expression.FunctionElement` with custom `@compiles`.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/99598f81-3851-4f2c-988c-1560d2f5e906n%40googlegroups.com.