Hello Mike

Thanks for the quick response. Would you mind helping me write a complete
example? It would help me understand compilation better :-) I would also be
happy to turn this into a merge request if you think other people will
benefit from it? I have also converted this into a sqlite example so using
add column instead of alter column, to make it more generic and follow the
sql expression tutorial. Also in the example I pass in the column type as a
string, how would I pass in the type as a sqlalchemy data type?

This is what I have so far:

from sqlalchemy.ext.compiler import compiles
from sqlalchemy.schema import DDLElement
from sqlalchemy import create_engine
from sqlalchemy import Table, Column, Integer, String, MetaData

engine = create_engine('sqlite:///:memory:', echo=True)

metadata = MetaData()
users = Table('users', metadata,
              Column('id', Integer),
              )

metadata.create_all(engine)

class AddColumn(DDLElement):

    def __init__(self, column_name, column_type):
        self.column_name = column_name
        self.column_type = column_type

@compiles(AddColumn)
def visit_add_column(element, column, compiler, **kw):
    return "ALTER TABLE %s ADD COLUMN %s %s %s" % (element.table.name,
AddColumn.column_name, AddColumn.column_type)

s = AddColumn(users,'col1', 'int')
print(str(s))

with engine.connect() as conn:
    conn.execute(AddColumn(users,'col1', 'int'))
    print(conn.execute(users.select()).fetchall())

Regards
Soumaya

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/CAN14jWTbx5tKqfTjkyuL-3KLY6Gyykzrq8Qyvur-AqDMUqFWfw%40mail.gmail.com.