I typically do local developer testing with sqlite3, and the switch the
database to postgresql for build/deploy/ci testing in the cloud.

For complex tests, I typically use a fresh database "image". e.g. a sqlite
file or pgdump output that is tracked in git.

This is not the solution you're looking for, but i've found it very
useful.  I spent a long time working on a testing setup like you are trying
to accomplish, but abandoned it when we built out an integrated test suite
and data had to persist across multiple database connections.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/e4e452ef-351d-4f92-a87c-1ab52ebc70ffn%40googlegroups.com.