is truncate happening in some other process?   does it speed up once you
kill the initial python process?   does this truncate take time with other
kinds of INSERT statements?   is the table very large?   overall you need
to perform more observations here as to what conditions cause this
"truncate" to take a lot of time.  there's nothing happening in SQLAlchemy
that affects this much, particularly for MySQL which is not very aggressive
about locking tables.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/d1c8298d-d7f2-4686-8ba7-26fb162994c9n%40googlegroups.com.