take a look at my console session here.  this includes those assertions I
mentioned.    I had to break it out on a fetch of a zip file which I wasn't
sure was hanging or not, but it created all the tables, included COMMIT, then I
did a little bit of alembic downgrade / upgrade, COMMIT succeeds, the two
assertions succeed

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/zzzeek/6ea76bb4c3bf50995bc7cc49b84ad88f/raw/9128670e40d4f5b2a3a77a66fb39d500d9a27012/gistfile1.txt

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/cfa5cc47-be08-4028-bbd5-3ddf2ca11061%40app.fastmail.com.