Hello everyone,
I have encountered an odd behavior when using URL-encoded tokens as
passwords for connections with Postgres; my application connects to a
Postgres AWS RDS instance using a token that expires (IAM Authentication
<https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/UsingWithRDS.IAMDBAuth.html>).

Specifically, if I set `cparams['password']` to a URL-encoded value in the
`do_connect` event, the connection fails. However, it succeeds if the value
isn't URL encoded. This seems inconsistent with how the engine handles
URL-encoded values. Is this the intended behavior ?
If not, would the team be open to a PR that calls `unquote` on the
`cparams['password'] when it's changed to ensure consistency ?

Here is a minimal example to illustrate the issue:

from sqlalchemy.orm import sessionmaker
from sqlalchemy import create_engine, event, text
from urllib.parse import quote

*# Assume there is a db user `test` with some initial tokenPOSTGRES_HOST =
'localhost'PORT = '5432'USERNAME = 'test'NEW_PASSWORD = '%2FH'engine1 =
create_engine(f"postgresql://{USERNAME}:some_token_that_expires@{POSTGRES_HOST}:{PORT}/esrf",

echo=True)@event.listens_for(engine1, 'do_connect')def
receive_do_connect(dialect, conn_rec, cargs, cparams):    # This doesn't
work.    cparams['password'] = quote(NEW_PASSWORD)with engine1.connect() as
connection:    connection.execute(text('SELECT 1;'))engine2 =
create_engine(f"postgresql://{USERNAME}:some_token_that_expires@{POSTGRES_HOST}:{PORT}/esrf",

echo=True)@event.listens_for(engine2, 'do_connect')def
receive_do_connect(dialect, conn_rec, cargs, cparams):    # This works
cparams['password'] = NEW_PASSWORDwith engine2.connect() as connection:
connection.execute(text('SELECT 1;'))*

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/6a124e8b-fabc-47b6-8e68-db939acc98f7n%40googlegroups.com.