Hi!

> I have not clear when I can/can 't  strip an object file.
>
> Could yuo explane me?
>
> Can I strip libsqlite.so.0.5.3 ?
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       326048 set  2 12:23
> libsqlite.so.0.5.3        (stripped)
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1242413 ott 23 14:06
> libsqlite.so.0.5.3   (not stripped)
>
> It's a big difference of size!
This is a bit off topic because it is nothing special to SQLite.

Your unstripped library has been compiled with debug
information (which is turned on with the option -g with gcc
for example).
'Stripping' causes all debug information to disappear from
the file.
Thus you get a lot smaller library if you strip it.
Alternatively you can compile without debugging information.

Functionally under Unix it doesn't make a difference if your
code contains debugging information or not - so you can
strip it if you want. And you should strip it if you deploy your
application with the library...

Under Windows it is a big difference if your files contain
debugging information or not - for example programs with
debugging information use other libraries than programs
without debugging information. Mixing of debug and release
code can cause conflicts at run time!
(Another problem is that your end users usually don't have
the debug libraries that comes with the MSVC++...)

I hope this helps...

  - Danny

--
Danny Reinhold