On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 12:48, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 10:02:36 at 10:02:36AM +0100, Steve O'Hara ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> wrote:
> > I get some 50 emails per day from various sources and I can't
> > afford to have SQLite traffic adding to this list.  However, I do want to
> > get a daily digest of what's happening and to contribute if there is a topic
> > on which I think I can usefully comment.
>
> Since you brought this up: may I ask you (and other list digest users)
> what is exactly that one gains from list digests, or, in other words,
> why this functionality exists in the first place?

Many users want to keep up with list-traffic but do not ordinarily need
to post to individual messages.

Some users filter messages by hand- to make sure they don't miss
anything.

Some users prefer the compact space in their INBOX.

Some MUAs store messages one-per-file. Grouping them reduces the number
of files (inodes) on the system and in some cases, can speed folder
lookups/searches [[ this is one of those retarded, my MUA isn't broken,
my operating system isn't broken arguments, but I've actually seen it.
]]