At 09:39 AM 26/10/2003, you wrote:
Most deliberately unicode-aware task domains have chosen UTF-8- simply
because it's a path of minimal resistance. Microsoft chose double-byte
unicode encoding (often referred to as UCS16).

In case anyone is wondering why Microsoft made such an OBVIOUSLY bad choice by going with UCS16 over UTF-8 it is because at the time UCS16 covered all the code points at UTF-8 hadn't been invented yet. It was figured that handling double-byte chars would be the easiest option. But, now we have more code points that can fit in 16bits so UTF-16 and UTF-8 were invented.

However, when your intent is portability, you tend to want to find
common footholds. More systems are tolerant to UTF-8 than to UCS16.
Period.

BTW, I don't disagree with that!

Further: I always read statements like "Microsoft C/C++ is the largest
most popular language platform in the world" as foolish sentiment. These
people obviously don't know what they're talking about and need a good
healthy dose of some reality.

A subtle barb fired in my direction. I think statements like that are even more foolish and even more out of touch with reality! Oh sure, TRON is the most used OS in the world. Does sqlite even compile on TRON? How many developers program for it? Windows is installed on 96% of all desktop computers and somewhere around 30% of servers. That's a very large number of machines, but you dismiss that pretty easily. And Visual Basic is probably still the most popular programming language in the world! (and yes, that should make you shudder!)

But, for the record, I spend 99% of my time developing for unix in a programming language that really knows only ASCII (with some exceptions). Here's a hint: this language will, in it's next major version, be a very large source of new sqlite users. The other 1% of the time is spent developing in a USC-16 platform that isn't Windows. Even if I'm not in the Microsoft camp, I can acknowledge that it has some significance.

Too many rude users talk about how inconvenient their life now is
because here is this wonderful and rather free toolkit that decided to
make the life of the author easier- and most of it's users or potential
users easier, at the expense of their own.

BTW, all I had asked is if anyone had done the work of making sqlite unicode-aware (I did ask for UCS16, however). I hadn't seen anything to indicate it did anything but straight ASCII. Someone pointed out that it did handle UTF-8 w/ the appropriate #define and that is certainly good enough for my task. If I hadn't of asked, I wouldn't have known.

Later,

Programmer/Analyst WebMotif Net Services, Inc. 1.800.332.WIPS Direct: 604.299.1908 [EMAIL PROTECTED]