I am happy to see that as well as the author as other users are
thinking in the same direction.

Access sucks but is needed since no other obvious solution has been at hand.
what about firebird? I think this concept is striving away from simplicity
and into something that will go overhand someday.

K:I:S:S

The need for development will still be there even if no big
optimizer engine are built in. If I could make a wishlist I would
throw in a simplified EXPLAIN function, to actually
help newbies to become better DBA:s. As it is for now
those who are already good at it have the tool for
optimizing queries.

 /J