On Feb 4, 2004, at 3:48 PM, D. Richard Hipp wrote:
SQLite seeks to avoid unnecessary feature creep.  It also seeks
to be small and compact.  Adding new built-in functions, especially
obscure functions such as md5/md5sum, does not seem compatible with
those goals.  For SQLite users who need md5/md5sum, the function
is simple enough to add using the sqlite_create_function() API.

Actually, I agree -- I'm a strong proponent of maintaining a tight focus within a product and SQLite is a perfect example of the power of doing so.

With that said, would it be offensive to add md5() aggregate support as a --with-md5 configure option?

Justifications:

- the functionality is very useful in quite a number of contexts

- the implementation is isolated

- the implementation already exists in a mature/stable test

- doing so will not require "new invention"

Anyone else interested? +1 if so, -1 if not. Send 'em to me personally and I'll be happy to keep a running tally.

b.bum