At 10:32 AM 2/27/2004 +0100, Eric Morand wrote:
This was a mistake by me ! Here is the order actually returned by SQLite :

Celine
Céline
Eric
Marc
Zoe
céline
eric
Éric
éric

Do someone know how to have the ORDER BY statement return values ordered with anything else that memcmp() order ? This method completely make the ORDER BY useless when dealing with accented caracters...
Two solutions come to mind, but hopefully someone more conversant with SQL/SQLite will chime in with an easier solution. Both my solutions involve adding your own function to SQLite (See the docs on the topic on the website).

Solution 1: implement your own OrderBy function and call that instead
Solution 2: Implement a Flatten function that converts accented characters to their non-accented and, optionally, converts all uppercase to lower (or vice-versa). Then use ORDER BY FLATTEN(Name)

I think solution 2 is the better one, since you can continue to use the ASC or DESC modifiers on ORDER BY and you could use flatten for other things as needed.

HTH.
michael