On Mar 17, 2004, at 5:44 PM, D. Richard Hipp wrote:

Dave Hayden wrote:
> I'm inserting a bunch of data loaded off the network into a table. Here at
> the office, SQLite keeps up pretty well; at home on the cable modem, it's a
> huge bottleneck.

Is the database file on a network filesystem?  If so, that is
probably the cause of your problem.

Nope, it's all local to the app. I should have noted that I'm trying to insert some 1,000 rows a second, with about 200-300 bytes per row--it's overview data from an NNTP server. Also, FWIW, this is on OS X and I've bumped the page size up to 4096 since that's the memory page size (I think), and the rows were exactly the wrong size for the default--pages could only hold one row, so I was using about 4x as much disk space as I needed.

Is 200K/s unreasonable for SQLite on a modern-ish (1GHz G4 powerbook) machine? When I sample the app I see that it's spending most of its time on the filesystem--unlink, read, open, write. I was hoping there would be an easy way to turn off journaling so I could see how much of the disk access was from that..

-D