At 11:22 PM -0500 3/25/04, Rich Coco wrote:
darren -
thanks for the response.
is this an use for a User Defined Function?
Or do I misunderstand the intended uses of UDFs.
tx,
- rich

My understanding is that User Defined Functions are something completely separate. User defined functions allow you to do any arbitrary amount of work inside the database engine. While you *could* use UDFs to implement an ENUM, by using one in an INSERT trigger, UDFs are intended for a much broader range of uses. Come to think of it, perhaps you may want to use a trigger on your table rather than a foreign key, although I would have expected a foreign key constraint to be much faster by its simplicity. This is probably going to be a case of 'just do what works best for you'. -- Darren Duncan