Greg,

"Greg Obleshchuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
26/03/2004 03:29 PM

        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        [sqlite] Search results

> In the database I will have three columns where I will be searching for
matches , my question is what type of method do people/systems use to rate
a match in the database?

It's difficult to rate exact matches, because all search results returned
exactly what was requested. As such, the only way to find a match that is
better than other matches is to have the user refine their search. Rated
search results are more useful when matches are inexact. A word that is
spelled nearly the same as the one you searched for. A result that only
contained four out of your five queried words. They can be rated with
respect to each other because they match the query to a better or worse
extent. For exact matches you really have to come up with another method
of deciding how relevant the results were. Google uses information on how
popular a web-page is to determine which pages are most likely to be
relevant when users search. If you could get feedback on how useful
particular search results were, you could make sure the best results were
returned for later searches. If you could predict how useful results are
likely to be when you enter the records, you could provide a baseline
ranking to start from.

Anyway, tricky subject :) No quick answers ;)

Benjamin