Thanks Kurt,
                    The GUI I was using to run the query seems to be using
an old version of the SQLite DLL. I haved tried another one and the query
has got me closer to what I want.
The problem I now have is that I am getting too many results.
ie.
SELECT areacode FROM stdcodes WHERE '0018764582' LIKE areacode || '%';

results:
001 USA
001876 Jamaica

As you can see the second result is the correct one, is there a way I can
narrow down the result to the nearest fit?