At 10:59 AM +1000 4/19/04, Greg Obleshchuk wrote:
I guess it would depend on the system. I assume (and may ask) that MS SQL and Oracle use multi-threaded processes to access the information and that is the way they get around it. I know the MS is looking at replacing the file system with the SQL engine in Longhorn so they must have solved the issue. The speed that they can generate from queries would indicate that they have solved the issue. But perhaps the smaller systems PostgreSQL and/or MySQL don't.

I think the simple answer is that SQLite uses a linked list which can't know where a page is until reading the next one, but other databases use something other than a linked list; they would trade a bit of complexity for speed. -- Darren Duncan