Not terribly interested in pursuing this, but that is precisely the point -
letting the engine handle the 'technical' things means it needs to know the
types of data in it. If the engine doesn't do it, the user has to do it,
adding complexity and producing less reliable systems.

             "Fred Williams"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             on.net>                                                    To
                                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             13/05/2004 15:12                                           cc
                                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [sqlite] SQLite version 3
                                       design question:  '500'=500?

I guess you read different books than I.  The intent was to have the
language engine do the required type conversions freeing the user from
knowledge of such "technical" things.  Like all languages it evolved, and
has not remained "simple."

Fred