At 8:06 PM +0200 5/3/04, Frederic Faure wrote:
Hi,
Since the performance of SQLite are so great, my dad and I were wondering if SQLite used a Windows API to tell it not to unload SQLite from RAM even if no program was still calling it, so that the next time a program loaded it, it would still be up and running in RAM, with data also loaded?
Thank you
Fred.

I don't think that is or should be necessary. Whether or not a shared library remains in RAM should be the domain of the operating system itself. It should be something that the OS just does, perhaps as a performance feature, and nothing that applications would have to code for.

More generally speaking, as I understand it Unixy operating systems tend to cache executables in memory anyway, as well as share such non non-changing blocks between multiple running copies of the same program, rather than load it each time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the newest Windows didn't do it too, but I don't know for sure.

-- Darren Duncan