I think there are a number of extremely well designed and implemented "free"
product out in the market that are at the top of their heap, but are the
exception to the general rule.  I think SQLite is possibly the best example
of that I have ever found in my entire career.  But, SQLite is like most of
the other good "Free" products I have found, they are the product of some
individual who's primary focus in life is not software development, and they
come with source.

True, I'd like to have half the money and time I have thrown after
"commercial" products that were not as advertised.  But, I don't feel the
answer to that problem is free.  The market takes care of those products.  I
know, I could send you a list of them, if you have DSL or better
connectivity.   I have learned a very long time ago, if at all possible, buy
the source, at least you will have that to fall back on.

Fred