3 days ago, somebody broke into the SQLite website and
defaced the CVSTrac homepage.  (www.cvstrac.org and www.sqlite.org
share the same machine.)

I do not know how the attacker got in.  The message left
on the homepage of www.cvstrac.org was "Rooted by Russel-Aid'.

www.sqlite.org runs a minimal Debian 3.0.  qmail is used for
the mailing list.  CVS is running.  The web server is a custom
implementation running in a chroot jail.  CVSTrac runs in a chroot
jail.  And sshd is running.  There is a private chat server written
in TCL running on an unpublished port. Nothing else. I keep the system
updated at all times with the latest Debian security patches.
In particular, the most recent CVS patches have been installed.

Anybody have any clues how an attacker might have gotten in?
Does anybody have any advice on how best to secure the system?

I'm up to my eyeballs with SQLite version 3 right now.  Anybody
with the time, skills, and inclination to help fix this is
welcomed to volunteer by calling me at the phone number below.

Thanks.
--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565