Somehow I think there are not a lot of Win32 programmers on this list...

Threads are very safe to use, and in many instances the only reasonable
technology to use. A web server without threads? You're not going to
serve many customers... And best of all, the OS takes care of spreading
the load on multiple processors or, if you have a later generation
pentium processor, makes use of the hyperthreading technology.

The only caveat: You have to understand how they work. In that sense
you're right when you say it's dangerous to use them if you don't know
what you're doing. But that applies to a microwave as well, no?

Balthasar Indermuehle
Inside Systems GmbH
http://www.inside.net

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would
pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urging for investment in
the radio in the 1920s.