>>So, Rob, are you go to tell us if you think the change
>>is an improvement or not?

It seems that with either of the new schemes, when using
sqlite3_busy_timeout() one thread is going to timeout sooner
or later. That being the case I prefer the new version on
efficiency grounds.

Being a lazy programmer, I like the behaviour of 2.8.15
where both threads can get to complete their update, timeouts
allowing. This is behaviour that I am also used to with
MS SQL Server.

I agree with you that many programmers (myself included)
don't want to have to worry about this stuff too much
when using SQLite.

Rob.