At 9:20 AM +0300 9/7/04, George Ionescu wrote:
as Nuno Lucas suggested, I've tried inserting one record using synchronous = OFF. That makes a *huge* difference: 150 ms (synchronous=FULL) vs. 3 ms (synchronous=OFF) !! So I'm asking this: anyone has had any real-word experience with multi-user access and setting synchronous = OFF on Windows NT systems ? I've read the docs and I know the risks, but I was wondering if any of you could share your real-word experience... If the database becomes corrupted after a power failure while inserting records, is there any way of repairing the database?

What you probably saw with the 3ms is the time between when you issued the insert command and when control was returned to your app, but the new record was simply in RAM and not on disk. The operating system would have written it to the disk some time later. So in other words, the time is so much faster because the slower action actually did something but the faster action did nothing during the time. The main risk is that your app is thinking the data is saved at a certain point in time, but it actually isn't. -- Darren Duncan