On Oct 24, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:

So if people cast to make the compiler happy then people won't be nervous?
;-)

Good point. I didn't word that very well. I guess what I'm thinking is that if you put in an explicit cast then you are indicating that you are well aware that there is type conversion going on and that it isn't a problem. If you leave the explicit cast off and the compiler warns about the type conversion, then people might think that something is wrong when in fact nothing is wrong.