On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:08:05 -0500, D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     (3)  This would be a huge change that would require
>          a lot of code.  Isn't it easier just to add
>          "rowid," in from of the "*" in your query?
>          How hard is it really to write a routine that
>          adds the appropriate "rowid," in the middle
>          of a user-supplied query?  100 lines of code
>          maybe?  Wouldn't that be a better approach?

This does seem like a good approach. I think the thing that always
concerned me about it was that, although the FROM line would probably
be trivially to parse in most situations, I could imagine things
getting pretty complex in some queries and I would be worried that I
might miss parse it in certain situations. This, of course, is mostly
a problem for people writing wrappers around SQLite, where the end
user is using the API defined in the wrapper. If I'm using SQLite
directly, there is no problem.