Does sqlite have any mechanism to determine if sqlite3_open has created a new database, rather than opening an existing database?

The sqlite3_open returns SQLITE_OK for both creation and opening, and
obviously doesn't supply any helpful error messages on success ;>

I know that I can check for the existance of the database file - but I
was hoping to avoid that particular hoop.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."