Hope this gets to the right thread, I'm lame and can't figure out the mlm
:-)

The main reason that I want to use SQLite is to have the SQL ability on a
bunch of data in memory. The other is that I don't want to write any more
non-standard interfaces where the SQL to SQLite is pretty good. I have other
processes that do much of what others have said, (preallocate all memory,
hash, etc) but it is a pain to make this easier for the users to query _and_
I have to write and maintain this code. Currently I have over 30mm records
and that could easily double and what I want to do is dump it all in memory
and do a federator ontop of SQLite. The DB's are read only and as long as I
can do sql to them, I'm a-ok. Unless someone knows of a nicer way to split
the tables up and still have reasonable respone time, or if someone has the
open source 'magic' federator software I'm open for lots of options. Just
started looking at MySQL Merge tables, but I'm guessing it may be slow (all
dbs stuffed on the NAS)...

Thanks for the input so far, I'll be using SQLite for my other projects to
be sure.

Sandy